Chris Rock on Tuesday was seen out for a stroll in New York City, amid news that Will Smith has yet to personally reach out and apologize to the comedian after slapping him at the Academy Awards last month.
The 57-year-old comic was clad in a navy blue bomber jacket over a blue sweater over a white top as he stepped out in the SoHo neighborhood on the spring day.
Meanwhile Will was pictured arriving in Mumbai, India on Saturday to meet spiritual leader Sadhguru, who Smith and his family met with back in 2020 in Los Angeles.
The latest: Chris Rock, 57, on Tuesday was seen out for a stroll in New York City, amid news that Will Smith, 53, has yet to personally reach out and apologize to the comedian after slapping him at the Academy Awards last month
Will has flown to India ‘for spiritual purposes’ and will reportedly spend a month ‘practicing yoga and meditation’, according to sources speaking to People.
Smith’s slap of Rock has steadfastly remained in the headlines about a month after the shocking March 27 incident at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, California.
The Saturday Night Live alum ‘hasn’t even received a personal apology’ from Smith, 53, nearly a month after the incident, Page Six reported on Monday.
Smith apologized to the Everybody Hates Chris star via social media and a statement in the wake of the incident.
A source told Page Six they were skeptical of Smith’s motives in the absence of a personal apology to Rock following the Oscars incident.
‘Spiritual purposes’: Will was pictured arriving in Mumbai, India on Saturday, where he will reportedly take a month out to practice yoga and meditation
Focusing on himself: Smith is reportedly in India to meet spiritual leader Sadhguru, who Smith and his family met with back in 2020 in Los Angeles (pictured)
‘Will’s “spiritual journey” to India for yoga and meditation seems cynical and ridiculous, given that he hasn’t apologized personally to the one person he assaulted in front of millions,’ the source said. ‘No amount of Namastes will make up for that.’
Smith at the Oscars apologized to the Academy and other nominees, but made no reference to Rock in his acceptance speech after winning the Best Actor Oscar for his role as tennis patriarch Richard Williams in King Richard.
Smith took to Instagram on March 28 and called himself ‘a work in progress’ after saying his behavior at the Oscars was ‘unacceptable and inexcusable.’
Last month: Smith slapped Chris Rock during the live Oscars broadcast in March after the comedian made a joke about her buzzcut
Out shopping: Chris was clad in a navy blue bomber jacket over a blue sweater over a white top as he stepped out in the SoHo neighborhood on Tuesday
Smith added, ‘I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. ‘
He subsequently alluded to Rock in a statement he issued April 1 as he resigned from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
‘The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,’ said Smith, who subsequently received a 10-year ban from the Academy over the slap.
Headlines: Smith’s slap of Rock has steadfastly remained in the headlines about a month after the shocking March 27 incident at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, California
The Oscars exchange between Smith and Rock took place after Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s shaved head, saying, ‘Jada, I love you, GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see it,’ in reference to the 1997 movie which featured Demi Moore with a shaved head. (Pinkett Smith, 50, has alopecia, which causes hair loss.)
Smith then walked onstage and smacked Rock, then returned to his seat and shouted at him twice, ‘Keep my wife’s name out of your f *** ing mouth!’ to a stunned audience.
Rock has stayed relatively mum about the incident involving Smith at the Oscars, briefly addressing it at a few comedy shows.
In an April 22 appearance at The Lyric in Baltimore, Rock said, ‘I’m alright, I’m alright… healed from the nicks and bruises, for the most part,’ CBS Baltimore reported.
Waiting: Rock ‘hasn’t even received a personal apology’ from Smith, 53, nearly a month after the incident, sources told Page Six Monday
In an April 8 show at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, Rock told the audience, ‘I’m okay. I have a whole show and I’m not talking about that until I get paid, ‘the Palm Springs Desert Sun reported.
In his March 30 show at The Wilbur in Boston, days after the incident, Rock said he was ‘still processing what happened,’ and that ‘other than the weird thing, life is pretty good.’
Several film projects that Smith had been involved in were put on hold since the controversy, including a sequel to the actor’s 2017 sci-fi action thriller ‘Bright’ directed by David Ayer, which was canceled by Netflix, Bloomberg reported.
Public: Smith has twice issued public apologies to the comedian but has not reached out to him personally, sources told the outlet
Out and about: Rock donned a pair of headphones as he kept to himself on the weekday walk in the Big Apple
Smith’s National Geographic nature series, ‘Pole to Pole’ which follows the 53-year-old star to the North and South Poles, and was set to begin filming in three weeks, has been paused until fall 2022, the news outlet reported.
Additional projects Smith had lined up that have been getting smacked down, include a movie for Sony that has been delayed and another Netflix project for the ‘Fast and Loose’.
Netflix was in the midst of finding a new director for the film after David Leitch left the film ahead of the Academy Awards.
The Sony film, ‘Bad Boys 4,’ which had started pre-production before the awards ceremony, was also put on hold.
Low key: Rock has stayed relatively mum about the incident involving Smith at the Oscars, briefly addressing it at a few comedy shows